Monday, January 09, 2006

So the new year started

Today's the first day I've felt like updating. I didn't bother over the holidays because the internet connection at D's parents house is so slow it's painful. Then I got back to work and you have to play a bit of catch-up being gone for a week. Coupled with finding out the first day back to work my Graphic Design Assistant's father was the first miner killed in the Sago Mine accident. Just a bad start to the new year.

We had a great holiday visit in Philly. Lots of good family quality time. Saw "The Chronicles of Narnia" and "Syriana" Both good movies although totally different. Watched both from the front row. Bit too close. We also went into NY for a day. Saw D's brother's place in Brooklyn, went to a few shops. ABC is this huge 5 story furniture and home store. Very cool. Would have loved to spend more time there. Had lunch in Soho. Saw the actor Chris Noth (Mr. Big) on the subway platform. Nervous dude. We spent New Years in DC with our friends. Not enough time with them, but a great night none the less. Then it was home. So good to be home. If I could wrap my house around me like a blanket some days I would.

Starting work Monday and finding out about Amber's dad was awful. We all felt so bad for the kid. She had just had her last day with us the previous Friday, and was moving down to live with her dad to start a new, better job in Morgantown. As she was driving down Monday morning she heard the news about the accident. It's just been awful for all of the people involved. We saw her this past Friday. She's doing really well considering. She has a lot of family down there helping her and her brother. We told her we were really proud of her and how she's handled herself in the TV interviews, etc.

This past weekend was our first full weekend at home. Spent most of it doing major spring cleaning. D got a home surround sound entertainment system for Xmas, so he hooked it up, and we tacked up, drilled, covered the wires. You can barely see them now. It sounds great. We watched LOTRs last night to it. It felt good to get everything in the Living and Dining room cleaned, but I still have several rooms to do.

We did go out Saturday night for a bit. But it's different not drinking. I'm actually really apprehensive about this year in general. I gave myself time-off of even thinking about "baby" from Sept til Jan. Now it's January, so I'm starting back on no alcohol, no coffee, extra supplements for both of us, exercising more, running almost every day. It felt good giving myself a break, but knowing I've got to start the emotional rollercoaster again sucks. Over Christmas I counted 6 friends preg. 2 had them over the holidays. We're going to start treatments soon, so the added worry of the cost for that doesn't help. And I've been more emotional about it in general than I think I've let myself get. Kept a lid on it. Now I kind of dread going to babyshowers, etc. I had a conversation last night with a girl, who knows how long I've been trying, and she's such an idiot. She starts going on and on about how her first kid is almost 5, and she's 35, and if she wants a second one she better start soon, cuz she's getting older, and how it gets harder,blah, blah,blah. I wanted to say - no shit. As you sit there and chug beer and probably cold get pregnant without thinking about it. I'm drinking water and think about nothing else all day.

In the meantime, running again and eating healthier has made a big difference in how I've felt in general. In February I plan on starting yoga classes again. I'm not this month as we're going on our annual ski trip to Snowshoe, putting all my extra money towards that. And I'm really looking forward to it. Just a vacation for us will be great.

Other things to look forward to...we walked up and checked out the garden, all covered up for winter. Dad and I talked about going in together to buy seeds, plants soon. Very excited to get all the garden plans started. And to start working outside. Oh - and LOST. Thank god it starts back up again this week! It's the little things that help get you through the week. : )