Friday, October 08, 2004

Commercial Astronauts and Sub-Titles

We watched a show on Discovery
last night about the Ansari X-Prize. The team from Scaled Composites won it. I'm so glad I watched it. I've just assumed it was really no-big-deal. It got a small by-line on all the online news stories. The show was in three parts and the story it told of what it took to reach the goal was amazing. My dad was a jet pilot, so I've always loved hearing stories about flying, I love the movie the Right Stuff, I read Chuck Yeager's autobiography. Oh yeah, my husband works for NASA! (for real) I just thought it was incredible seeing these guys take off, hit 5 G's 8 G's? and at one point the only computer navigation system on board goes blank. The test pilot flew it straight up into space by keeping his head straight and keeping the blue of the horizon in his peripheral vision. If it was black ahead he knew he was straight. And he's going supersonic in a machine made of composite coated fabric basically! It's just amazing. They did it for 20 million and Russia is still behind in their parts for the 'International Space Station'.


The test pilot that hit space first was Mike Melvill. He became the first Commercial Astronaut. How cool is that? He was a test pilot for over 25 years. The FAA even gave him official wings for it. He let M&M's out while he was floating to show people he really had hit zero gravity. It was just so cool to watch. And such a shame it wasn't more newsworthy. I told D he's like Zefram Cochrane - but real.

I know the US has caught a lot of grief lately, so I liked seeing that it was the US team that won. Especially without the government (I know, I know - backed by the spoils of Microsoft)The pilot was an Aussie I think if that helps! Ok enough geeky space talk.

Warning - just because a movie has sub-titles does not mean it will be good. I drank coffee before bed last night - no idea why - so wired -I began watching "Like Water for Chocolate" on IFC. Still not sure if it was quirky - or just bad. Full frontal nudity though if you're interested.

Signing off - it's my birthday weekend and looking forward to spending a day in the city! Museums and shops and food and bars oh my! (Pittsburgh)