Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Fungus Fighter, Damn Smoker, Coffee Aisle

Vicks VapoRub
Here’s something I’d never heard before – apparently Vicks is a sure fire cure for toenail fungus. I have no idea how they got on the subject, but two girls I work with started talking about this yesterday. One had lost her big toenail when she broke her toe, and a year later it still hadn’t grown back because it became infected with a fungus. Her Dr. had said she could take an oral medication for a year (& risk liver damage), or buy an expensive topical medication. On her way out of the office the nurse mentioned to her to try Vicks. Apply it every night and cover with a bandaid. It worked within two months. I’ve read a couple other articles on the web about it – seems to work. So there you go – bit of health news.

Age & Smoking Politeness
My 70 yr old parents have had a family friend staying with them for the past two days. He’s about the same age. He smokes like a chimney! In. Their. House. This just blows me away. 1) That my parents who don’t smoke and just spent all of December cleaning their house allow it, even providing an ashtray. This is how submissive and aiming to please my parents are. They would never dream of offending this guy by saying go smoke on the porch. 2) That this guy thinks its ok to stink up my parents house. It reeks! I have nothing against smokers. My husband just quit for the 4th time – but he would never smoke in someone’s house. Noone I know in the 20-40 age bracket would even think of smoking in someone’s home. It’s got to be the age factor. This guy is from the era of giant ashtrays next to your desk at work.

Grocery Story
A friend called me at work to tell me this story as she was leaving Krogers. She was in the coffee aisle when this little old man stopped and asked her if she could tell him “what do you think my wife means by this? What is this?” pointing to the list his wife had sent him to the store with. She had written “Poise Pads”. Which are female incontinence pads. My friend turned beet red. So she tells him what they are, what aisle they’re probably in. Instead of being embarrassed himself – the little old guys is ticked off – “well why would she list it under coffee then!?”