Thursday, March 17, 2005

DC

Our trip to DC last weekend was such a welcome break. I used to think the reason it just seemed dismal and grey here in WV was because it must have been the same when we lived in MD, but we didn’t notice it as much because there are more buildings and less hillsides, wooded areas to show brown and grey. Not so. It was blue skies and sunshine the entire weekend in DC. Gorgeous weather.

We spent Sat. afternoon just visiting. Our friends are renting a really cute house. It was great to see their little girl and play with her. Either she did remember me, or just wasn’t afraid of me, cuz she took to me right away again. She is so damn cute. Scrunches up her nose when she laughs. D really wanted to go to Cheesecake Factory for dinner. I figured there was no way we were getting in. Historically on a weekend, that place has a 4 hour wait. Sure enough, we get there – 4.5 hour wait. Which is basically saying “we don’t want your business”. If we had said “Sure! We’ll wait!” we would have been seated at 11pm. Instead we ate at Tara Thai. Which even if it is a bit of a chain, is so yummy.

Sunday just relaxed and hung out, then all headed down to the Mall to practice being tourists. We parked along the outer edge of the tidal basin. We could not have been farther from the museums, unless we were actually in Virginia. But it was a nice day to walk. We had lunch at the super touristy Pavilion, then ditched the guys. My girlfriend and I took the munchkin and hit the Natural History Museum. I love this place. I never tire of going there. Always something new to see. This time they had three new exhibits: Mammals, Story of Sikhs, and Orchids. It was also good to just catch up with my friend and have girl talk as we went thru the exhibits.

We got home and G made Chicken Gel Fraise. I have no idea how you spell it. Phonetically it sounds like Jell Frazey. Whatever. It was delicious. Oh and D bought our favorite Dominican beer for dinner. Mmmm. Then the munchkin went to sleep and we sat around the dinner table and had some of the best conversation I’ve had in months! We talked about everything. The pope, religion, HIV, Africa, England, America, the Middle East, vacations, accents, moving, parents, friends, etc. It was so good to talk about something other than where the new WalMart is going. I miss them so much.

Monday our friends went to work and we dropped of D’s MD plates finally. How he didn’t have a fine is amazing. Then lunch at California Tortilla. We drove through our old development. I told him I think what we do sometimes is confuse missing the area with the feeling of really fond memories. I loved living there, but I wouldn’t want to go back. I had to drop D off in Alexadria for a conference then drove home. The drive was a nice wind down. Good to get home, but glad we got away for a bit.