Monday, March 21, 2005

Wine, Horses and Robins

Friday night D & I went to a small - wait - the only art house type movie theater in our area. It's an old converted church. They usually do plays, but to generate money, they've started to show the movies the Multiplex in our area would never bother to show. We finally got around to seeing Sideways. It was a great movie. Laughed a lot. Afterwards, you couldn't help but crave a glass of wine.

Oglebay Park is the large park/resort that I've mentioned before. It's a few miles from our house. Gorgeous great big park, lake, playgrounds, golf, lodge and a stable. The stable had been closed, but I had read that it recently re-opened and were looking for volunteers. I've always wanted to, so I showed up to their Open House Saturday. The new stable manager is a girl younger than me who seems really nice. She brought all her own horses. They won't start boarding til fall. I got the tour, and then just walked around petting the horses. I will have to say, most of them look like they fell off the glue truck. I guess you don't really want a racehorses for 9 yr old girl to take trail rides on. It also looks like the new manager is taking the stable the Western route. For years it has always been ENGLISH. (my preference) Interesting to see how this goes down in our area. Most of the horsey people around here are the posh variety that spend shitloads of money to buy, board, and train horses for their children to keep busy with. They used to hold dressage and jumping events. Seems like cutting and barrel running is next. Oh and before I go any farther, I'm not the posh vareity of horsey people. I'm the "always dreamt of owning one but never have now would just like to unwind from work and be around horses" type. So we'll see if they call back to say I can volunteer. The part of the form that said 'List any reasons you can't ride" I filled in with " Trying to get pregnant, so can't ride if I do, or if I think I might be, but willing to ride any other time". Yeah. They might not call.

Sunday book club was canceled as noone could go but me. Rescheduled. I have to say I'm surprised how many people have bitched and moaned about reading this month's book, Bridget Jones the Edge of Reason. They really had a hard time with the brit slang and the format. I didn't mind it, but she's just irritating. Much more so in the book. Which I don't get. It so obviously was written just to cash in on the first book & movie's success. So why does the screen play differ so much? But I should check the Publish dates to see when it was written.

And as Sunday was the first official day of SPRING (yay!) I woke up this morning and saw my first Robin. Sure sign of spring. (to which my Dad said, oh no, they've been around for weeks) sigh.