Thursday, August 18, 2005

DC vs WV

We've recently found out that Dan might be offered a short-term post in DC. From now til Dec/Jan. It could possibly be for a nice jump in salary, so even for just a few months it would be worth it. We're both really excited about it. I hope he gets it. For two very selfish reasons. One, the extra money couldn't be at a better time. And two, I'll get to go to DC a lot in those months to see friends and act like a tourist. I love walking around the mall. I think I miss that the more than anything from DC. I don't think I ever get tired of the museums. And then there are the restaurants. And the shopping. And it is nice to hear different dialects and see people that aren't all white-bread americana.

So the idea of Dan living in DC for a few months would be great. The best of both worlds for a short time. Get a nice injection of the rest of the world, come back and sit on the deck and watch the deer and bunnies eat our lawn. I just don't think I want to go back full-time. Even if let's say he got an offer for a crapload of money to stay there full-time. We'd live there for a year and then try to get the heck out again. I know we would. I think it's the old grass is greener idea. For emample the two nature related stories posted below. This is the kind of stuff I live for. Birds flying in the house and trying to identify giant catepillars in the garden. After about a month in the city I'd go crazy missing the openess and quiet. I like people watching and being around the business of the city, but right now I can let the dog out and walk around the front of the house in my underwear with a cup of tea and not worry about seeing people. Compare this to the flakes we had living next to us in Md, knocking on the door at 2 am asking if we "party".