Monday, June 12, 2006

...and now we wait...

Well it's been a long time since I've had anything 'fertility' related to share. Last fall we had the scan done to check and make sure my tubes were clear. They are, that hurt like a bitch though. Then at that point we decided to take a few months off. I had been crying way too much about the entire idea. At the first of the year we decided to wait a few months longer, because of financial/ employment concerns. Then we were all ramped up for April and May, only to realize we'd be out of town both months during my most 'fertile' days for any procedure to be done.

Which leads to June. And boy did things move fast this month. I had my first follicle scan on the 5th. Followed by several more that week, got my HCG shot Friday and was inseminated Saturday! So now we wait. If I don't get my period we wait until cycle day 35 to take a test. That's three long weeks from now. As excited as I am, I'm trying to be realistic. Most people don't get it the first time with an IUI. It's just going to be the worst period ever though if I do get it.

But we've both decided that even if it didn't take, this has been worth it for all that we've learned. For instance...at my second scan the dr. casually mentions, "..and of course you have polycystic ovaries..." Excuse me what!?! Noone had ever told me this. HUGE news to me. The good news is I have no other symptoms, so I don't have PCOS which is the syndrome associated with having cysts on your ovaries. I just have it enough to mess with my estrogen amount. So I took estrogen for the week leading up to the IUI. And I'm also on Glucophage. I may have to stay on it for the entire time we try to concieve and are pregnant. It can have some nasty side effects, but so far I just have a really achey lower back. But I can't tell if it's a side-effect from the drug, or from laying on my butt with my hips up while I watched 7 DVD's after the procedure. The dr. didn't say to do this, but I just wanted to take it easy just in case.

So that's the latest update. Practically everyone we know, knows about this. Which will make it really hard if it doesn't work. But it's also been great to know everyone is really excited for us and crossing fingers, wishing on stars, saying little prayers.