Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Kindness

I was getting the magazine Body + Soul. I didn't renew the subscription, it was ok, but kinda weak. I think I'm gonna get Yoga Journal instead. Reason I mention it, I was reading an article in the last issue. It was in the "Holistic Dictionary" section. Each month was a different letter. I guess this way they know they have a page of copy for 26 issues. The letter was "K" for kindness.

The article was about just being kind. Kind to yourself, kind to others, thinking kind thoughts. Reading it really got to me. I had spent the weekend around at least one person who was seething with anger and general grumpyness to the world. I was struck by how unkind all her actions and words were. And how it was making me feel awful. Sucking the engery out of me to even be near. It made me realize how often I might have unkind thoughts about others in my head, yell at some idiot while I'm driving, just walk around with mean thoughts without even realizing it. Stupid things like, "why is that moron driving so slow! - and then realize it's a little old lady. Instead of thinking she shouldnb't be driving - thinking how cool it is she still has enough energy to get out and go where she wants to at that age - how I hope I do too. And gossip, trying to just pass along the tidbits that are good about people, not the crummy ones. ok - the driving might not be a good example - but you get what I mean.

How that all adds to my general stress. I'm tense enough as it is. Being around unkind people sucks the life out of you, and if you get in the habit of being mean yourself, it sucks the life out of you even more.

So be nice to people. You'll feel better.