Monday, October 11, 2004

Weekend Omnibus

Sunday
I had a great birthday! The past 2 or 3 years D has failed miserably with this event. This year he did outstanding! A card, cappucino, biscotti and the Post-Gazette in bed. Then up to Pittsburgh where he dropped me off at the bookstore so I could take my time while he went to the sporting goods store. Bought two good books: The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (as suggested to me by Baba) and Angry Houswives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik. Looks to be a chic lit, but it's about a bookclub and I'm getting around to starting one. And it was hard to keep it to just 2!! So many good books to read...I just love bookstores. I could spend the day and a paycheck in one. Ok - so then we went to dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. Which serves SOooooo much more than the 36 flavors of cheesecake they have on the menu. The menu is a tome - they offer so many diff things. We ate so much it hurt. But I have lovely leftovers for lunch today. I had Bang Bang Chicken and D had a burger the size of his head. So overall - wonderful day. Oh - and the added humor that my parents plain forgot it. Asked what the 'big occasion' was that we were going to 'burgh for - "um...my birthday...." Look on their faces was priceless!

Hobo and Esmerelda
Are the two donkeys one of our crazy neighbors owns. They're rescued donkeys from the Grand Canyon. Every so often, they decide to go on walk-about on their own. Usually end up in our yard or at the end of our drive. Sat. I went to take April - the beagle - for a walk and saw them out. I hadn't made friends w/ them yet so I ran back and got a pear to offer. Walked over to them and Hobo the jake (male donkey) was sweet. Took it right away. Esmeralda the jenny (female donkey) however started sniffing and circling around April - now frozen in fear of the large 'dog' checking her out. Damn donkey started it's ears back to bite/kick her (!) and I started yelling. They both ran away then. Eeeeawwwing loudly. Stupid things. Then this morning I looked out our bedroom window and jumped out of my skin. Not expecting to see a large grey donkey standing by the window.


TV Killers
We have now killed our third tv. Second 27"er in about 2 months. Must be our aura. We went looking for a new one and ended up drooling at the wall size 7 grand flat screens. In our dreams. Back home - D took the latest victim apart, found the blown fuse, and hoping replacing it will fix it.

Now back to our regularly scheduled work week.