Tuesday, November 02, 2004

…and it’s done!

I went and voted bright and early this morning. Got there at 7 am. Our precinct is 16, and our polling location is the club house of the Par Three golf course at Oglebay, the local resort. So instead of a dingy church basement or high school gym, we get to vote in an oak paneled room with huge picture windows looking out over the hills and valleys. Beautiful blue autumn sky, white puffy clouds, bit of gold and orange left on the trees. All that and I still didn’t feel good about voting this year. The options were shit. And not just for President. On a local level we have two jackasses (new fav curse word) running for our state supreme court that have done nothing but trash each other. I mean horrible campaigns. I have no idea what either stands for, and I don’t buy into voting my party ticket. Not everyone is qualified just because they’re D or R. Basically it boiled down to remembering one sounded like a ‘60’s radical evangelical preacher during a voter rally. Scary – so I voted for the other guy. Throwing darts is as decision oriented.

It has everything to do with how much money you have to get your name out, and absolutely nothing to do with being qualified. I’m glad it’s over. I have actually made myself worry - given myself serious anxiety - about whether or not I make the right decision. My dad is a true blood Republican, and we don’t agree on a lot of issues, but at least its engaging to discuss things with him. I hate people that are so vapid in their ideas that they practically spit while going on about their beliefs. I think I’m too tender hearted. I’m tired of all the negativity. Oh – and I’m very proud of my dad. He’s working all day today as a poll worker. 75 years old and he got up at 4:30 to start. He’ll be there until 6 or 7 tonight, and by the end of the day his bionic knee will be killing him.

Tonight D (who is not a registered voter – there I said it – I told you I would "out" you) and I are going to a friends house to watch the results with a group of friends. But as the Daily Show is now calling it – I believe we’re looking at a “Prelude to a Recount”.