Wednesday, October 20, 2004

How K made my day

Yesterday was just a normal go-thru-the-motions kinda day. After work I stopped by my folks to pick up April. Left with the wonderful miserable feeling you get when dealing with a chronic clinical depressed person and the people who live with and love them. Extremely pissed off, sad, angry, sorry, helpless. Helpless being the worst. Hard to conceive why the idea of picking out a color of paint for the walls is so overwhelming it can’t even begin to be dealt with as it MUST be the right color. (left out OCD as well) And must be done themselves, no use trying to help, then you get frustrated and start to belittle…being hurtful won’t make them want to deal with it any quicker. (Normally wall paint wouldn’t be such an issue-said walls need painted as they had been replastered from a roof leak.)

So got home feeling crap. But in the mail a package from K was waiting for me. (K, N and I have known each other since we were 10) Something for my b-day that she said “was just you” and she had to buy it. Tore it open soon as I got in the kitchen. Funny card and a plastic bag with a cd shape in it. Immediately thought “too thick, must be a compilation” followed by “has to be the Clash!”. Which it was! K is the only person that has ever got that I love the Clash. Amazing that she bought me this and remembered. Awesome present. Popped in the cd and played “Train in Vain” (ok – cheesiest tune, but is prob my favorite song. Ever) And then shit - I started to cry. How hormonal am I!? Listening to it made me remember being 17/18, Jr./Sr. year in high school, for my 18th b-day K had got me the Clash’s Greatest Hits 3 cassette set. That was what -16 years ago? Suddenly 34 just seemed to hit me. Made me miss her. I don’t talk to or see her nearly often enough. Not even close. So as a weepy mess, I played the cd while I read and drank wine. And loved listening to it again. Very awesome present!