Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Wound UP!

D and I are really wound up about tonight's LOST. It's become a special treat night when a new episode is on. I'm making tandoori kabobs and turmeric rice. Maybe even have a few beers. (I haven't been drinking at all since I read alcohol can cut your fertility rate by 50%. Funny, it's the reason behind plenty of pregancies) Anyway - tonight's episode is "Journey" and apparently it goes into even more back stories, but the previews show a certain someone getting shot. But should we hate him, or feel sorry for him? He can be quite pathetic. I actually think Locke is the mental power behind everything. Some people said they thought Walt conjured up the Polar bear. But I think Locke did. He created the situation for Walt and his dad to bond. I'm already dreading later tonight when the show is over. It's that good.

Last night was the first night the handicapped children were there to participate in the Ride with Pride program. (I hate that name - it is so hokey) The evening was quite a work out. Eight kids divided into two one hour sessions. Each kid gets a horse with a leader and a person on either side to walk next to them. It's a full hour of walking around the ring with one arm up in the air holding onto a saddle making sure the child doesn't fall. Wipes you out. The kids though were great! So excited about it. The first little girl I helped with had no outward sign of illness. Her cerebellum though was growing into her spine, not contained in her cranium. She'd had it corrected though. She'd never riden before and she was just thrilled by it. They practice doing stretches, touching toes, reaching up to touch the horses ears, things like that to help strengthen them while they're in the saddle. Later they'll work on doing this while the horse is walking. The second child I helped with was a little boy that had a type of retardation that is not visible. He came across more autistic. He was great. Very excited. His brother who has the same condition was there as well. So the boy I was with kept saying over and over for an hour "there's my brother, right over there". But he'd also say things like "That is beautiful, yeah that's great!" to a girl wearing a stetson. Some of the other children had more severe problems, like a little girl that had bad Cerebal palsey. Very hard for her to sit up straight. But she loved walking around on the horses. I basically decided to do this to get more volunteer time in at the stable, not really thinking about what it would entail. But I'm really pleased I have. Like you always say or think, I've like to help out with some noble cause, but never have time to?

Something else that struck me, why do so many of these horrible illnesses seem to happen to the families that are the least able, at least financially, to deal with it? It's very sad.

GOOB Update: just heard another store in the mall put up a G.O.O.B. sign.