Friday, March 09, 2007

80 20 Rule

If you google the 80 / 20 Rule, you'll find tons of information. Most of it applying this rule to business, marketing and software development.

I don't know where I first heard of it, but it has always stuck with me. I think it might have been when I learned about the
Golden Ratio? Not sure. Anyways - this is a weird bit of sharing. But the 80 20 rule is one of those constant things that runs thru my head. Like a bad song. Not everyday, but close to it.

I think of it almost every morning when i get ready for work. I wear 20% of my clothing, 80% of the time. It applies to a lot of my daily life when I break it down...

I cook 20% of the dishes I know how to make - 80% of the time.
We eat out or go to 20% of the restaurants/pubs we know of - 80% of the time.
I call or email 20% of the friends I have - 80% of the time.
I watch the same 20% of the tv channels available - 80% of the time.
I don't think websurfing applies, because there are so many - but I read the same sites often - it probably applies somehow.

I'm sure there are more applications to my daily life. That's really all I had to say about it. Just sharing an oddity I guess.