Monday, February 14, 2005

Valentine's Day!

Wouldn't it be fun if at work we still made "mailboxes" like we did in school? Decorate a shoe box and cut a slot in the top for everyone to go by and place our cards? I loved the kits my mom would buy that had tons of red, white and pink hearts and doilies, stars, etc so I could glue and make my own valentines. I remember this being a big day at elementary school. The homeroom mom always made sugar cookies or cupcakes, and had "crafts".

That segued into carnations in High School. It was a school fundraiser, and you could buy and have delivered to class; white (friendship) pink (secret admirer) and red (love). This could either be a good thing or a really bad thing. Depending on how you remember high school.


My best valentines day memory: I was little, maybe 8 or 10. My dad had been out of town and came home on Valentines day. He got my mother and I each a rose floating in a bowl and long cotton t-shirt type nightgowns that had a satin frog on the chest. I loved that nightshirt. And that might have been the first time I ever got flowers from someone.

I hope everyone has a nice Valentines day and everyone at least gets a hug, a kiss and an "I love you" today.