Monday, April 17, 2006

Good Books I've Read Lately

Purple Hibiscus
G loaned me this book a few weeks ago. I didn't know what to expect. I really enjoyed this book. Not just because it was well written and an interesting story, I always like reading about how people live in other parts of the world. Reading out the poor and the middle-class in Nigeria was very interesting to me.

From the outside, fifteen-year-old Kambili has the perfect life. She lives in a beautiful house, has a caring family, and attends an exclusive missionary school. She's completely shielded from the troubles of the world. Yet, as Kambili reveals in her tender-voiced account, things are less than perfect in her wealthy Nigerian home. Although her papa is generous and well respected, he is fanatically religious and tyrannical at home. He looms over his family's every move, severely punishes Kambili and her older brother, Jaja, if they're not the best in their classes, and hits their mama if she disagrees with him. Home is silent and suffocating.

Three weeks with my brother
ok - I don't read this guy's books - way to mushy chic-lit for me. The trailers for the movie "Message in a Bottle" made me cringe. But G also handed me this book and said "I know you think you won't like it, but you will, it's also a travel novel". And I did. It was good. His life story has more dramatic, heart breaking things in it than if you tried to make it up. The travel part was the vehicle to tell the story of this family, so not so much a travelogue, but good anyways.

In January 2003, Nicholas Sparks and his brother Micah set off on a three-week trip around the world. It was to mark a milestone in their lives, for at 37 and 38 respectively, they were now the only surviving members of their family. As Nicholas and Micah travel the globe, the intimate story of their family unfolds in the details of the untimely deaths of their parents and only sister. Against the backdrop of the wonders of the world, the Sparks brothers band together to heal, to remember, and to learn to live life to the fullest.


Me Talk Pretty One day
One more time now...G recommeded this book for my selection for Bookclub. She said she laughed her ass off while reading it on the plane. So, as always trusting her knowledge of my taste in books, picked it. It is pretty damn funny. Laughing about things you wouldn't even think of. His sense of humor is just dry, wicked and spot on. I really can't wait to read more of his books, and I haven't even finished this one.

ME TALK PRETTY ONE DAY contains far more than just the funniest collection of autobiographical essays - it quite well registers as a manifesto about language itself. Wherever there's a straight line, you can be sure that Sedaris lurks beneath the text, making it jagged with laughter; and just where the fault lines fall, he sits mischievously perched at the epicenter of it all.