Monday, April 10, 2006

Hi Ho Chelsea!!

Sunday morning D and I finally drove to Burgettstown to check out N's "farm". 325 acres, a historical farmhouse remodeled with an addition bigger than two of our houses, and a huge stone foundation barn with 5 stalls. I'd been there at night before it was finished, so it was cool to check it out. The water and electric haven't been run yet, but the place is just gorgeous. (We've been told we have our own room for when we visit..even cooler) We took Ned and he ran around the place and went for a long hike to the pond with D while we rode. (also got his first tick)

Well N really wants to get horses, hopefully this summer. She's ridden a lot but never owned, and her neighbor has offerd to help her out. Her neighbor was so incredibly nice. We went over to her farm where she took us out for a trail ride. It was a beautiful day. Probably the best ride I've ever had. Her neighbor was so low-key, just let us ride around. We went all through fields, around ponds and streams, through the woods. The horses we rode were mother, Chelsea (I rode) and JT the son, (N rode) Very well trained, well mannered. Kinda skinny though. The owner has been working at opening a new restaurant and she said she hadn't been getting them extra grain. they both need fattened up.

They were really happy to be out, so I trotted most of the way. Then at one point we entered a field and I could tell Chelsea wanted to go, so I let her and we cantered for a good while ahead of the others. I could hear N's neighbor calling " you ok?" Heck yeah - that was awesome! My form absolutely sucks. I know what I'm supposed to do, but since I don't ride often, I just fall apart sloppy. I was lucky she was a good horse. This was so much fun and enjoyable. It makes me realize even more how nervous and self-conscious those cows from the stable I volunteered at last year made me feel.

The thought of N getting horses and being able to ride when I want sounds so good. Of course that could be held off if I get in a certain way, no riding then, but I'll enjoy when I can until then.

Oh, and now is when I should mention how sore I am.