Monday, November 15, 2004

Lowe(r) your customer service expectations

I’ve lived back here for a little over a year and actually had to sit in traffic this morning. I forgot what that’s like.

I haven’t forgotten how much I hate Lowe’s though. Went at lunch to buy paint. (I’m trying to get the bathroom painted, rewired, re-lit and a new medicine cabinet up before D gets back) Stood at the counter for 10 minutes waiting, then one lone salesperson arrives to wait on the guy standing next to me. Who has an antique can of paint he need to get the color matched on. He’s also Chatty Cathy. By the time it’s my turn, the line of carts and people behind me is 6 deep. So I hand the clerk my paint chips and quantities. (1 gal, 2 qrts) He walks off to get the paint, having ordered I start zoning. I glanced up just in time to catch him from giving me THE most expensive paint they have. “Excuse me – could I get the cheap paint?” He replied in a very exasperated tone, “Then I’ll have to wait to use THAT paint machine (now in use by the girl that finally came back from break) because this one won’t use the cheap paint.” (?) “Lady, it’s only $17.99 a gallon.” Me – “As opposed too…” Exasperated, salesclerk, “$13.99”. Very nicely I said it all adds up and I wanted cheap paint. And could I have my paint chips back because I’ve now run out of time. And then he got really testy because I wanted my chips back. So after work I’m going to Sherwin Williams were they wait on you hand and foot, are super nice and give me a discount anyways! Only reason I didn’t go there first is, well, I was going to throw it on the evil Lowe’s credit card.

Tonight’s DIY list: clean • tape • spackle • prime woodwork • paint ceiling • paint walls