Thursday, March 31, 2005

Giddyup!

Last night was my volunteer orientation at the stable. I had fun. I, along with the other two volunteers that showed up, scored 100% on our Horse Safety tests. Nice to know I can compete with two 13 yr. olds. (if they were even that old) But they were cute girls, and really excited about helping out. Fairly timid around the horses though.

We got to know a bit about each of the stable horses, lead them around, get them out of the pasture and into their boxes for their evening feed. Now it's just schedule a time whenever we want and we can show up to help. It sounds like I'll get to ride a good bit, and they even mentioned being able to take English lessons for free when possible.


The two girls running it have go to be exhausted though. 12 hour days and it's just the two of them running the stable with 10 horses. They've had to do a lot of maintenance and repairs around the place themselves as well. Having 20 yrs on the other volunteers, maybe I'll get to help them out with some of the things they really need help with.

So far my favorite horse is Heidi. She's have Quarter and half Draft. Not sure what kind of draft but she looks a bit Belgian. HUGE. Chestnut with blond mane/tail. Hoping I get to ride her. The buckskin I like is 27 yrs old!! That's ancient. But she's frisky for her age. And yes - one of these days I'll take pictures.