Monday, May 02, 2005

While the cats away...

While the cats away...D left Saturday evening for 5 days in Orlando. UGH!! Figures the day he left it was grey, rainy and 50 degrees. So wish I could have gone with him. He got to see my brother and his family Sunday at my nephew's baseballe game, and he'll get to have dinner with them one evening hopefully. Glad he's getting to spend time with them, just wish I could have made the trip.
While he's gone I'm trying to do lots of things around the house. I've re-organized the garage and put up new shelving and hooks, I'm painting the horribly dingy stairwell down into our basement, faux painting and decorating the master bath, hopefully starting in on painting our spare bedroom. I'll never get it all done, but at least it's all started. Notice I haven't mentioned the garden. Nothing like procrastinating one chore by doing another.

I like having some time to myself though. Every so often its good to have a break from each other. I can read in bed till I fall asleep with the light on, April has enough room so she actually sleeps with me, eat tuna melts or just grapes and cheese for dinner, and only use one plate all week. Stupid things but nice to do on occasion.

The weekend was nice apart from the weather. D and I had lunch at Salsa Cafe before we left, mango salsa is YUMMY there! I rode both mornings and did my usual helping out at the stable. Rode Joe both days. He's doing really well.

Sunday had dinner with my parents. Dad cooks a mean porkshop. My brother used to joke that was the worst thing mom cooked. She always got sidetracked and they ended up like shoe leather. Lasagna was always her specialty. I got it every year for my birthday. Actually, haven't had that in ages. Pasta being an evil carb and all that. Mom hasn't been feeling well. Super deep well of depression. The older she gets the harder the spells seem to hit and last. What she needs is sunlight, excercise and some socialization. They would at least help. But for now we're just hoping the new meds make her feel a bit better. She's reading what sounds like an interesting book by Rosalyn Carter about living with someone with mental illness. I might read it when she's done with it. If medical treatments in the world were free, I'd say that not only do the people that have depression need counseling, the people they live with do as well. But that will never happen. So I'm back to dropping April off at their house every morning for doggy day-care. At least this way I see them once a day, even if it means my dog gets fat from all the extra treats.