Friday, June 10, 2005

Stables

View from the barn at sunset. The ridge the sun is setting behind is the one we live on.


I've been spending a lot of time at the stables lately. Mainly because it's staying light later in the day, so I can go after work. But mostly I seem to constantly need to be doing something to keep my mind off getting pregnant. So I'm either there or in the garden. Being around the horses and the girls that work there is very therapeutic. I could shovel shit out of a stall all day, if it kept my mind off that. (ok not really) I'd rather groom the horses. I love riding and all that, but I like just being near the horses. There's a new bunch in for the summer trail ride season. In the back of my mind I think 'it'd be great if I could buy one of them in the fall for myself If they have to be sold'...but that's the last thing I need. Just enjoying them all I want for free will have to suffice.

The newbies are Doc (every stable has one I think) Buck (ditto) Marie and PJ. Doc is beautiful. A dark bay,but with light gold undertones. A great ride too, very sweet temperament. Marie is another beauty - she was a sulky racehorse, red bay. Buck is a really muscular chestnut, also a sweetie. His tail is tipped black, very pretty. That leaves PJ, who might become my "project" horse, (but I'd rather it was Doc). PJ needs work to calm her ass down and be a good trail horse. She never stands still and pulls at the bit constantly. When I first groomed her she was an angel, (she's actually still great with grooming and tacking, it's the riding she needs work on) but anyway, I was picking out her her front hoof and she reached around and CHOMPed on the back of my thigh. It hurt. bad. I dropped her hoof and yelled, she half reared and whinnied. She hasn't done it again, I think it was because of a crack in her hoof - but she's a pain, literally, in my ass. Nice bruise. Oh, and she's a solid dark bay, black mane/tail. Really big mare.