Monday, November 14, 2005

The Symphony

I know everyone thinks I move back to WV and entered a culteral black-hole. Most days I would agree. Friday however I went to the symphony with my dad. It was wonderful. The theme for the night was Tango music. It ended with "Bolero" which sounded amazing. So loud and clear. We're supposedly the smallest town/city in America with a full symphony. It has a long history, and it's really quite impressive. It's home is the Capitol Music Hall, the largest, oldest theater in WV. It's very grand, lots of red velvet and gilded chandeliers. The sad part is it's barely staying afloat. The seats were half empty. (Dad and I were there on free tickets) When you read the program, it seems like all the Olde Wheeling Money is responsible for shoring it up and keeping it running. Lots of elderly in furs in the crowd. (the lady near us gave off a nice whiff of mothballs all night) It would be a shame if we lost it. One of those, didn't know-what-we-had-til-we-lost it things. I think a lot of people say - "oh, you went to the symphony last night? we should go more often..." It was really enjoyable, and I do hope D and I go to the next one.