Monday, June 19, 2006

Fishing On Father's Day

From the time I was a very little girl I've gone fishing with my father. It's always been a special thing that we've done together. Over the years we have so many funny stories from all of our fishing outings. They usually have to do with our mishaps, not so much actually catching fish. As happens to all of us, as I got older I didn't get to go fishing with Dad as much as I would like. I thought it would be fun for both of us if that was what we did for Father's Day this year.

I packed a special lunch of toasted Rye bread deli sandwiches, Dad's favorite really unhealthy potato ships and Pepperidge Farm cookies. Trying to beat the heat, we left at 7 am and thought we'd fish til 1 or 2pm. We headed out to Piedmont Lake in Ohio which has always been our favorite lake to go to. There are many family stories associated with that lake. A favorite being that our Grandparents honeymooned there in a tent. Also, we got April from someone who lived out by the lake.

We had a great day of fishing! We started out fishing for crappie and bluegill. It was probably a little too hot for it. We probably went 2 hours before we found a hole where they were biting. Which of course was a spot the fishfinder said there weren't any fish. Stupid sonar. But I caught two bluegill and dad caught one bluegill and one small, small-mouth bass.

We motored over to the other side of the lake and fished a bit longer and took a break for lunch in the shade. The lake was really pretty. Clear water, blue skies. Not too many boats, but a nice amount of people out. After lunch we trolled a bit.

I like trolling, as you're seeing a lot of the lake, usually getting a nice breeze as you go along, and sometimes you catch a fish. I personally have never caught a single fish trolling. At least that I can remember. I have no luck with it. But. I don't know how long we'd been going along when dad cut the engine real quick and yelled "I got one!" Bending his pole pretty good too. So I reeled in as quick as I could and grabbed the dipnet. Dad said "grab your camera and get a picture of it coming up to the boat!" (From longtime family experience of the big one getting away right as you pull it in the boat) It was giving him a good fgiht, making it fun. I did get a few shots of it coming up to the boat, and on the deck. As soon as we got it in the net it did throw the lure, so it could have been a close one. It was 27" just under keeper length. You'll notice in the photos below the gill got Dad good on the finger - there's blood dripping on his left hand.

After we let him go we continued trolling with the sunshade up on the boat. It was getting pretty hot. The next thing I know, Dad's cut the engine again and is reeling in a fish. He caught a small Walleye. Which he would want me to clarify was a TRUE Walleye and not a hybrid. Its the top photo below in the "small fry" section. We trolled for about another hour and called it quits. Just getting too hot to fish. But we had a really great day of fishing. Glad Dad caught a few nice one's for Father's Day!