Wednesday, August 09, 2006

PNC Park






Two weekends ago D's cousin and his new wife came to visit us for the weekend. They like to go to diff ballparks around the country. Once they realizedhow close we lived to Pittsburgh, they decided to check out PNC Park. We had a really good time with them, and the park is amazing. Not a bad seat in it, with a spectacular view of the skyline.

But the day we went was just such a long day. I had been out of town in Florida at my brother's. Dan and his cousin/wife picked me up from the airport, and went directly to Station Square for late dinner. Rode the incline. Went to the ballgame. Went to the Southside and bar hopped, had a blast. I was Des. Driver. Around 1:30am I was like - I'm getting sleepy, and I have to drive your drunk butts home.

As soon as we got on the highway I noticed my headlights seemed dim. Then my dash lights seemed dim. Halfway home I looked down the the gauges were pulling an X-File episode on my and flipping up and down all over the place. I was waiting for the mother ship to appear to abduct us.

So it's me - with a carload of sleeping drunk people. I said - "hey! Wake him (D) up! It took forever to get him up and realizing what was wrong. "itsh nothing baby - keep going". So I keep going, and the lights are getting dimmer, and dimmer. Now the gauges all say we shouldn't be moving, and yet we are. We are approaching the last rest stop before the WV line, just 3 miles away from our exit to go home, when the lights fail. I said "I'm pulling over" 'nahm nah - Keep going! itsch alright!". So the car actually loses power as I pull over. At the end of the on ramp for the rest stop. And we're driving a black Rodeo. Dan pops the hood and starts messing around, I'm freaking out he's going to get hit. We call AAA, and Dan pushes/coasts the car back down off the highway onto the ramp berm. Much safer. And then we wait. It's like 3 am when the AAA arrives. We get a jump and he follows us to our exit. This is because he couldn't tow us and take 4 people with him. Apparently the jump was enough to charge the alternator. It got us to the end of our driveway where it died again. I was so glad to be home. Longest day ever. It ended up being a completely dead battery. Oh - and the next day ti was funny, we were talking about what happened, and I was like - "yeah - YOU said keep going! We had NO lights" Dan - "And you were going to listen to the DRUNK Guy!?!" It was actually pretty funny.