Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I can make Sushi!

Why haven't I tried this before?!?
I had been craving some sushi. I used to be able to get it any day I wanted when I worked in DC. The Whole Foods up the street had a sushi station in it. The week before we moved back to WV I ate so much of it I didn't think I'd ever want it again! The closest place to get any around here is all the way up in Pittsburgh. Well, I had also just finished reading "Memoir of a Geisha" (good book because of the detail, historical info but washed out ending) I knew a bunch of girls that had also read it this year, so decided to invite them up to watch the movie version. Figured this was a good excuse to try and make sushi. I had a couple different recipes that were all basically the same. I found it really funny that our local Krogers actually had all the ingredients for it. Seafood wraps, pickled ginger and wasabi. I expected them to have a good layer of dust on them - but they didn't. huh - maybe more if this stuff gets made around here than we realize?

Anyway I made the rice before I went to work yesterday morning. Then put the rolls together when I got home from work. I couldn't believe how easy it was. I just made California rolls - nothing too exotic. I could have eaten the entire jar of pickled ginger yummmmmy. And the wasabi was really strong. We kept laughing at each other trying to breath thru the fumes after we ate a bite. My sinuses are clear now. The girls that showed up all really like shushi so they gobbled it all up and said it was great! yay me! One girl is a flight attendant and has gone to Japan many times, and said it was pretty close. She said she wanted to make Goya? (spelling) dumplings but didn't have time. I did get some steamed dumplings, but they were more Chinese style. Considering they were from "AmeriAsian Buffet".

The movie btw, was a let down. We had to turn the volume up soooo loud just to hear the voices, that when they quit talking the music was blaring. And the movie itself was just kind of bland. I thought even if the movie was boring the visuals would be great, but the whole thing wasn't that interesting. Another case of the book being better than the movie.

Side note - the person responsible for introducing me to sushi lives in Thailand - check her blog out to get some insight to what's going on with the coup over there.