Thursday, March 22, 2007

colossal waste of time

Wow. The last time I spoke in front of a large group of people it was adults. Before that it would have been college students. Today I had to speak in front of about 60 8th graders. So prob 13-14 years old?

It was 8th Grade Career day for all of Belmont County schools. What idiot thought 13 year olds needed career guidance? arg. I got all the kids who said they were interested in "visual arts". The room they put me in was an old art gallery room. They had all the gallery lights on - so it was almost 80 degrees in the room before all the kids get in. As soon as I got a look a them I could just tell they could give two shits what I was going to say. I just ripped thru it as quick as i could - any questions? 4? good - ok - now leave. They just sat there in the overpowering heat with glazed eyes. The room smelled like old, sweaty sneakers after about 3 minutes.

Never again. I told the organizer thanks for the great speakers gift of a tote beer cooler (!) but that I wouldn't be doing it again unless it was for Juniors in High School at the youngest. I talked to two other speakers on my way out who said they had the same experience.