Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Deserted Island

It's 10 am and already I'm wishing I was on a deserted island, or at least had an office with four walls and more importantly a locking door. The end of the month is alway so busy here at work, which I don't mind. Being busy makes the day go quickly. I've just had a few more irritants pop up this week than normal. Already today I've had people standing in line at my cube with people hovering in the background to pounce on me when it's their turn, I have to call an agency to say they've yet again sent bad art, had someone assume I would look up info for them, when it's part of their job. I work with some lazy friggin people. Yesterday I got to spend 4 hours of my day driving south of the Mason-Dixonline to photograph a funeral home exterior, because the client doesn't like the photo they gave us to use. Who decides to use one funeral home over another based on the facade of the builing? Especially when it looks like a post-office? Then I had agency ask for a specific photo to be used - just assuming this exsists in stock photos, and of course not wanting to pay for it or realize that if they want to be that specific, they might need to do a photo shoot. And oh can you pop out four layouts in 5 minutes?

It sounds like I don't like my job. Overall I really, really do. It's a great company. It's just there's a snide look-down your nose attitude that prevails about outdoor advertising. Like I must have gone to a two year tech school, and have no design background, experience, etc. I hate being spoken down to and if one more person calls me an artist instead of the art director I'm going to snap. Not like I'm hung up on titles, but that's about all I've got going for me to keep even the smallest scrap of credibility. Artist I swear is subliminally percieved as, "works with crayons" or "first-job-out-of-college". Yes, there are days when I think this job is beneath me and I wish I still worked in an agency setting. But then I have to balance things like benefits, short commute, pay-checks that don't bounce, working with friends. And also, who the hell am I to think something is beneath me? It's not like I've got a war chest full of design awards. Anyway. Venting over. That helped.