Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Band Aid 20

I just heard Band Aid 20. (notice the video/audio link in corner to listen)
I think it's crap. I understand they re-did it with the current trendy singers to try to boost new sales, and that it's all for a very good cause - but it's crap. It sounds so bad. Tiny and weak. And I'm not buying any kind of passion coming from any of the voices. The clever bit before when they sing "...the bitter sting of tears". Ugh makes ya cring cuz before it was Sting. And you kinda grinned cuz you're in on the joke. fok - and I'm not saying Bananarama knew squat about Ethiopia before Band Aid, but at least they had a few older singers that seemed to be a little more aware of current events. Joss Stone has a beautiful voice and all but is a dimwit. And I'm not bashing the bands, I like most of who is appearing, but it just came out all wrong.

Ok. The real reason I prob hate it is that not only did the original make me shiver and feel melancholy, but it is a memory of my teen years. I have such a strong association to that song of a certain time. I don't see this version being strong enough to evoke that in any current 14 yr olds twenty years from now.