Monday, February 28, 2005

The Oscars

I like watching the Oscars. I always have. It's a very shallow event, but I love all the glamorous dresses, I like seeing the clips of the movies I haven't seen. It's like a movie that isn't great or deep, but it's entertaining. The fun part for me is that watching it has become an bit of a tradition for D & I. Normally I would've watched this with a girlfriend. When we moved to DC, and it was just the two of us, he had to take the role of girl-friend. So every year since then we make a fun night of it. Have dinner, make snacks, have wine. And of course I make a contest out of it. We write down our picks for the winners, and at the end of the night see who had the most winners correct. He wins every year. Every year. He's just guessing as well. Has no idea what half the movies are even about but still wins. I love him for doing it though, because I don't know ANY of my friends boyfriends or husbands who would do this. So I don't mind when every year he falls asleep for the last two categories.

The weirdest thing about this year's show was the music. The orchestra kept playing the strangest selections for people to walk out to or when they'd be fading to commercial. At one point they played the theme for "Star Trek the Next Generation". For no apparent reason. Odd. Oh - one other weird moment: Melanie Griffith never disapoints. She had a really slinky pale blue beaded gown on that let her droop and sag everywhere, with the entire back cut out. So the dress and of course her puffed up lips and super tight face alone were giving me plenty to giggle at. But she was walking with a cane and had a foot in a cast. When asked she said she hurt it "...attempting to climb Mt. Everest and only got to the 1600 foot level when she tripped and broke her ankle." That's awesome. You couldn't wish for anything crazier to come out of her mouth.