Monday, April 04, 2005

One Wacky Wedding

D and I went to a wedding this past Saturday for one of his college buddies. It was hands down the craziest wedding I’ve been to. It was also a lot of fun!

To start, I don’t know why they had the wedding in early April, because it’s still gloomy here, nothing green is up by then. They had planned an outdoor wedding, and it just poured the day before and the morning of the wedding. I felt so bad for them. The wedding was then moved inside the White Palace. This is a huge old building in the middle of one of our parks that a long time ago used to have dances and summer balls. Now it’s where a lot of wedding receptions occur. The wedding was on the first floor, which has a small dance floor area. It was actually decorated nicely with tons of flowers, but the problem was the concession stand nearby. The people didn’t quit working, and you could hear tin foil being ripped, and ice being poured through out the ceremony.

Then the Pope died. The groom comes from a very Catholic family so I’m sure this day was an upsettingly bad omen to be married on.

The ceremony was really nice. It was at 2pm (They included their dog in the wedding party. Remember that for later.) The bride, and even more so the groom, have been doing Weight Watchers and looked fantastic. Ed looked like he was 12. I bet he has a 22 inch waist. I am not kidding. He’s tinier than me.

Ok, so the reception. This is on the second floor - huge room. It was to start at 4, so we hit a bar for awhile, came back at 4. The food didn’t start flowing til I think 6. Somewhere around 5 they put out some cheese and crackers. I am not exaggerating when I say all the guests fell upon this like hyenas. (Most of them had been sitting around since 2:30.) When the crowd pulled back there was nothing but ornamental lettuce on the platters.The reception food, and the bar, were great. Hands down the best stocked bar I’ve ever seen at a wedding. You name it they had it. The food was standard wedding fare, but the HAM!! They sliced the ham about a half inch thick, and the slice was so big it hung over both sides of your plate. It was so funny to see people walking back to their tables with giant slabs of ham hanging off their plates. They were THAT big. Anywya, we had a great time with all our friends, good to see some people we hadn’t seen in a long time. Lot of laughing and drinking.

After dinner was the bridal dance. Remember the dog? Well he’s been running around this whole time at the reception just frantic, trying to keep track of his owners. Everyone trying to pet him, probably feeding him scraps, etc. Well the bride and groom begin to dance their first dance together. Dog is pacing nearby. Suddenly everyone starts giggling and pointing. People are rushing the dance floor to take pictures, but the cameras aren’t pointed at the happy couple. Yes, fido took a big poop right on the dance floor, during their dance. It was hysterical. Esp all the people photographing it. At least the couple thought it was funny as well.

More dancing, the dollar dance, some time passes, then suddenly a woman falls on the edge of the dance floor. I guess the people that saw it happen said she had a seizure. 911, EMT’s show up, she leaves on a stretcher. Very quiet at this point. Someone cue the music to change the mood….and then right back into dancing. We found out later that night the woman was the groom’s brother’s fiancé. She had blood clots in her hear and had to be taken to Pittsburgh. Truly horrible. Still haven't heard how she's doing.

You wouldn’t think it, but despite all of the craziness, it was a fun wedding. I’ve just never seen so many things go wrong and the bride and groom keep their spirits up. I’m actually still amazed the dog didn’t bite anyone. That’s the one other thing I could see happening.And DAMN IT. NO I did not take my camera. Why – I have no idea. Maybe cuz it didn’t fit in my tiny elegant purse.