Thursday, December 02, 2004

15 Year High School Reunion

Someone decided to have this the Saturday after Thanksgiving thinking people might be in town. Usually this would have been a summer event. I'm hoping the next one will be, and hopefully something outside where people can roam around. This year’s event was somewhat painfully dull and uncomfortable. Our 10 Yr reunion was great. About half the class (50) showed up and everyone was talkative, drinking, dancing. This time about 30 people from the class showed up, not including Sig Ots tagging along. It was in a ballroom at a local restaurant. Buffet food, keg beer and a DJ noone danced to. Three girls from school I’ve known since I was 10 and are still close to, decided to meet before hand in the restaurant bar. All of our husbands know each other so it wasn’t too horrible for them. (free drinks didn’t hurt either) We all walked in fashionably late, drink in hand.

All the guys we had gone to school with were standing in a row backs to the wall. All the wives sitting at tables. Ugh. The only people talking were the girls from school. My group grabbed a table and started circulating. It was great to see some people. People I genuinely have always liked and it was good to catch up with. But the other half of the night was spent in stilted conversation with people I barely knew in high school and have nothing in common with as an adult.. “where do you live now, what do you do, do you have kids?” It can feel odd to see these people grown up that played together as children everyday, got along great and then thru high school gradually grouped off, barely speaking. Now that I’m older I’m starting to wonder if the guys I always thought were stuck up or full of themselves, just had no conversation skills and were somewhat shy.

Probably the most interesting person there was a girl who had gone on to become a CIA agent. I had been in Girls Scouts with her. She’s been living in Columbia and is being sent to Afghanistan. She had also become a really beautiful girl. Although for the most part, all the girls in my class held together well. Noone blew up or fell apart. Several of the guys became extremely follically challenged though. When we got home I was exhausted. It’s work making conversation all the while trying to come off like you yourself aren’t doing too bad. And I was pretty proud of my mate. I was really glad he came. (It doesn't hurt to show up with a funny, handsome guy who can say he works for NASA.)