Thursday, April 14, 2005

Muskrat Love

yeah, yeah, I know, said I was going to post pics...soon....

In the meantime, good wildlife story, brought to you by Captain and Tenile:

Since I got home on time for once, and had the house to myself, went for a long walk with Grape Ape. Decided to check out the pond in the woods. The spring peepers have started making noise at night so thought I might see a few frogs, probably a turtle.

You have to sneak up on it or everything hides. As I got closer there was a Mallard duck couple. Haven't seen ducks there before. I love Mallards, they mate for life. But they were nervous and kept swimming to the far side to stay away from me. I bet they had a nest nearby, and I was giving them a heart attack. So slowly walked around the pond. No frogs, no turtles. April is walking ahead of me. At the far side of the pond a hear a big "ploP!". Looked up just in time to see a muskrat swim away into the middle of the pond and do a back flip to kick underwater. Very cool. He must have a nest around as well. Haven't seen him here before. Now I'll have to be even sneakier to get a glimpse of him, and maybe take a pic.