Monday, January 30, 2006

Pleasantly Surprised

...by what a great weekend we ended up having. The effects of our big winnings Thursday must have helped carry over into the weekend.

Friday night the Symphony was just amazing. The 9th Symphony is about 70 minutes long, and the choir and soloists don't come in until the last part. (sorry I can't remember the term for the 4 "parts") The whole thing was great, but when the choir stood and started to sing I got chills and goosebumps up my arms. It was so loud and so clear. And just such amazing music. Really proud that our dinky little town has the large city sounding Symphony. The hall is beautiful as well. Lots of gilded chandeliers, gilded woodwork, burgundy draped walls, frayed burgundy seats. An interesting point of the night was inadvertently getting the people behind us to leave. During the opening piece by Brahms, I looked over and D looked really irritated. He mouthed the people behind were ruining it - talking and giggling. I looked up and it was a family with three teenage/pre-girls. A few minutes later the girls really started to laugh outloud, but so did the parents. I turned around and glaringly harshly whispered "hey!" working the eyebrows with a frustrated look. While D mouthed "please be quiet". The mother was still smiling at me, like she didn't get that I was ticked until i continued to glare at her. She finally got it. They left at intermission. Which was before the Beethoven part of the evening even started. O darn.

Saturday was warm and blue skies. Winter has just been too strange here. D spent all day outside. I did chores, dropped off the recycling, and made a huge dinner. Which to us means more than one dish. We had Samosas for appetizers. We ate these downstairs while we played darts. We never do stuff down there as it's not finished, so this felt weird and nice. Like we were vacationing in our own home. Then we had Chicken Biriyani with whole-wheat flax seed Naan. All made with my own 2 hands. It was yummy. I love to cook,but I really love it when it turns out tasty as well. Then after dinner we watched " Layer Cake". It was entertaining. We had to stop it twice to go over what was actually going on. And at one point they did subtitles when a serbian drug-lord was talking. D said 'I wish they'd subtitle the whole movie, friggin English talk with marbles in their mouth". And this from someone who's used to it.

Sunday I went to Pittsburgh for N's littlest's 2nd B-day party. Lots of cake and party pizza and games. Nice time, love playing with my nieces and seeing N's family. Also go to hold our friend S's 3 week old baby girl. She's precious. I got her to fall asleep. She looks like a little gnome. In a painfully cute and sweet way. Later that night was this month's bookclub meeting. A bit painful to get through actually, but good to get together with all the girls. Overall a great weekend when we had nothing planned to start with.

This week I have to find a dog sitter, and plan/pack for the ski-trip next weekend.