Friday, February 10, 2006

at least the skiing was good

Back at work after the ski-trip weekend. Overall it was a nice weekend holiday with my husband. It wasn’t “the blast” that it’s been in the past. I don’t know if it was the mix of people this year, I do suspect the fact I wasn’t drinking had a big part of it. I think in the past I could tolerate people better when at least I was a bit woozy myself.

We got there late Friday night and being the last people there, were sober compared to the rest of the crowd. But we stayed-up til 2am, playing Trivial Pursuit and just hanging out talking.Saturday woke up to a monsoon. It rained all day. It was miserable. The people that had bought trail passes ahead of time, and were stuck with them, attempted a few runs, but the fog was so thick it was actually pretty dangerous to ski or board, so they came in. A bunch of us walked over to the shop area, walked around, window shopped, went to the arcade, then stopped at the Connections bar and hung out for awhile. D actually ran into someone he worked with in DC. Pretty amazing. We found out that weekend was the Cuervo Games. They started at 4, basically a bunch of drunks doing obstacle course type stuff, but I thought it might be really funny to watch and a way to kill the afternoon. It was only 1pm, so we said we’d go back later. Since we didn’t ski, I made dinner early. D and L and I headed over to see the games, but they were over by the time we go there. A group from the cabin had headed over without telling anyone, and we tried to find them, but to no avail. So we headed back to the cabin and just hung out and played games, watched tv.

The rain finally turned to snow when it got dark, and the snow makers started to make snow as well. When we woke-up conditions were perfect! Couldn’t wait to get out there! I ran up to the main lodge to buy our lift tix, as I was leaving one chic askes me to buy her a ticket. No problem. I get back, hand it to her and she says ”I’m not sure I want to go now” Nice - $65 later you think you might not go. Three of the girls that said they were going to ski were just hemhawing around, so I hurried up and got dressed and left with Dan. We later met another couple from the group out on the slopes, but I wasn’t going to pay that kind of money so I could wait around on people, then listen to them whine about the cold, and then have them decide two runs later they’d rather go tubing. Jayzuz.

I had such a good time skiing with D. I did a lot of blue runs. I really missed that we didn’t get to ski Sat. I usually get the feel for it back the first day, and ski stronger the second. I didn’t want to come in for the Superbowl, I wanted to go out to the Night skiing area. But once we came in for a minute, then saw the wind howling outside, I decided to stay in.

They entire experience would have been better if it had just been D and I. Or us and one or two other couples.The sheer amount of whining and high-pitched shrieking was so frickin irritating. The conversations are so EMPTY. And I hate drugs, hate being around them. Yes, more because I’m just naïve and afraid of them. Pot I could care less about, but when everyone starts popping Vicadon like M&M’s for fun, and follow it up with coke, I hate being around them. Oh add lots of beer and rum. And maybe some X, from the way one person was acting. And I love how it’s always the people that go on and on ad nauseum about what great parent’s they are, and never shut the fuck up about their kids – that are the ones doing the coke. Yes I’m judging. Next year I don’t know if we’ll even do it again. If we do it’s in a smaller cabin, with a diff set of people. The wild crew can get they’re own place.