Monday, April 18, 2005

Remembering October, 1988

The other night I watched a special on VHI about U2. I behind the scenes thing about their preparations for their upcoming tour. I'm so glad I watched it. The set is really cool, giant curtains of light strings that created images, big, round stage. Just seeing them interviewed, singing, playing, the story behind some of the songs on Atomic, made me rememeber why I like them so much. One thing that sucks about getting older and spending more time at work, dealing with family, having a house, life stress, keeping up with friends, kids...is that you lose touch with music. You (ok I) no longer have the time to devote to finding new bands, or keeping up with what's going on with bands I like. I've tried really hard this past year to buy a cd a month, just to hear some new stuff.

But back to U2, somehow I've managed to buy all their cd's, but I haven't been "excited" about them since high school. Now what I mean? Excited. Can't wait to listen to them over and over. (Bono is no longer cute, he's handsome,but on a day I think it looks like he bathed. I still think he's hot.) Junior year in high school a bunch of us saw the Joshua Tree tour. Bono had just broken his arm so it was in a cast for the concert. It was amazing. It was a stadium concert. Still stands out as one of the most memorable concerts of my life. (first kiss with D at a DMB show wins)

But the reason for all this yammering on..me, Kerri, Neeta and Sheryl all got tickets to see them again. This is most of the bunch that saw them in High School. At first I was like, "tickets are HOW much?!?" I'm paying for them in installments. No shit. We could have gotten cheaper seats, but certain people didn't want to get mashed in the masses, apparently we're older now, so we paid $180 bucks a ticket. (I have to quit thinking about it cuz I keep thinking of everything else I could have bought with that...) Kerri got all the tickets a few weeks ago, and the concert is in October. Very honest I was just like, ok great, we're going, that'll be really cool. But since I watched the VHI show about the build up to it, I'm actually really glad Kerri kept riding us about getting the tickets and I'm very, very excited about it. Maybe it's cuz she teaches college, but of all of us she's always been the one to keep up with music. BTW - the part I left out about the concert in high school is that even though I could have driven us, my dad rented a huge car and chauffered us all up there and hung out in the parking lot while we went in. When you're 17 this is so not cool. But looking back it was sweet. Especially when he wondering why those girls at the car next to him had to keep sharing their cig.

Ok - I could have just written this. I paid $180 bucks for U2 tickets that I initially wasn't thrilled about because I've gotten old and bitter about money, but by some miracle I've been able to rekindle that tiny flame of adolescence to realize listening to them play loud and live is going to be another life experiece we'll all remember again for a long time. And Bono is still cute.